Candle cause of fire

Fire damaged 40 percent of a house located on the 100 block of east Clegern. The cause could possibly be a candle that fell over while lit sometime during the night. While the homeowner did escape the blaze the house has been damaged by smoke and heat. Red Cross has been called in to provide the owner with a temporary place to stay.

(Photo by JESSIE BRYDGES)

By JESSIE BRYDGES
Staff Writer

An unattended candle is believed to have been responsible for the partial loss of a Henryetta home.

The Henryetta Fire Department received a call at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning regarding a home involved in a fire. The house was located at the 100 block of east Clegern. 
Henryetta and Dewar fire departments responded to the call. 

According to an investigation, a burning candle toppled over sometime during the night and ignited the carpet. 

Around 40 percent of the home was a loss. The majority of the damage came from heat and smoke. 

“The owner had a metal roof and that just held the heat in,” Henryetta Fire Chief David Bullard said. 

While the homeowner was able to get out in time his cat was not so lucky and perished in the fire. 

Red Cross has since been contacted and is working with the owner.

This is the latest in a series of structure fires that have happened in the Henryetta area. 

As cold weather continues, be sure to practice heater safety. 

Electric heaters should be thoroughly inspected, including checking the cord and plug for damage, before they are turned on. If there is any damage, do not use the appliance. 
Families in the market for a new electric heater should look for a product with the Underwriters Laboratories certification mark. The most recent models will incorporate the most up-to-date safety standards and features. 

Plug heaters directly into the wall. If the heater’s plug gets hot, it could be a sign the outlet may need to be replaced. Contact a qualified electrician for assistance. 

According to a National Fire Protection Association Fact Sheet, the leading factor contributing to the start of home heating fires was equipment placed too close to flammable items such as furniture, clothing or bedding.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet