Events planned to honor military
Veterans Day is Nov. 11, and this date is set aside to honor the men and women who have served in the various branches of the United States Armed Forces.
Many activities are planned this week to pay tribute to the veterans. County schools are hosting programs and lunches for those that have served.
VFW Post 539 in Henryetta will be sharing in programs around the county and provided the following information:
• Dewar Public Schools – Tuesday, Nov. 14, at 8:30 a.m. at Dewar Baptist Church. Breakfast will be provided afterwards.
• Henryetta High School Nov. 10, at 9 a.m. at the HHS auditorium, 1801 Troy Aikman Dr. All veterans from the Henryetta area are encouraged to attend. The program will include a special performance by the high school drama class.
• Ryal School – Nov. 9, at 10 a.m. at 115035 S. 3690 Rd. in Henryetta. Lunch will be provided to veterans after the program.
• Schulter School – Nov. 10, at 10 a.m. at 23507 Flax Ave. in Schulter. Lunch will be provided to veterans.
• Wilson School – Nov. 9, at 10 a.m. at 8867 Chestnut Rd. in Henryetta. A Veterans Day program will be held at the gym and lunch will be provided for the veterans after the program.
• Okmulgee Elks Lodge 2nd annual Veterans Breakfast will be held Saturday, Nov. 11, from 8-10 a.m. Veterans eat free. 8-10 a.m. The Elks Lodge is located at 701 S Mission in Okmulgee.
• VFW Post 1189, 1427 N. Okmulgee, will host a Veterans Lunch at 12 noon.
— OSUIT Events
• Celebrate Your Veteran/See You at the Pole – Thursday, Nov. 9, from 8-9 a.m. at the Reynolds Center.
• Veterans’ Resource Fair Thursday, Nov. 9, from 10 a.m. 2 p.m. at the Student Union.
• Veterans Breakfast – Friday, Nov. 10, from 7-9 a.m. at the Student Union.
— OHS Events
• Area veterans are invited to the 2nd annual Okmulgee FFA Coffee with a Veteran Breakfast Thursday, Nov. 9, from 7-9:30 a.m. at the AgEd Building, 610 N. Central Ave. This is an opportunity for our FFA members to show their appreciation to veterans for their service to our nation.
• After coffee and light breakfast, veterans are invited to attend the Okmulgee High School Veterans Day Celebration at 9 a.m. at the OHS Auditorium. While in the high school, they will be able to visit the OHS Wall of Honor, located on the first floor near the elevator.
— Okmulgee Dunbar Events • 5th & 6th Grade Assembly -Thursday, Nov. 9, at 9:10 a.m.
• 7th & 8th Grade Assembly Thursday, Nov. 9, at 10:10 a.m.
Guest speakers will be Tony Gustin and Robert Marek. Gustin was sworn in on Sept. 18, 1968, and served in the Army National Guard for 38 years as a combat veteran. Gustin is from a family of Veterans. Three of his sons have also served, one in the Air Force, and two are combat veterans who served in the Army National Guard. His father served in the Philippines during World War II and his grandfather is a World War One Veteran. Gustin has 17 grandchildren, one of whom also joined the Army National Guard. Since his retirement from the Guard, Gustin has developed a hobby of restoring Classic cars from the 1960s. Veteran Robert Marek will also be a guest during the events.
— PPS Events
• Preston Public Schools will hold an assembly at 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10. A video of area veterans will be shown. A lunch will be provided at 12 p.m. before the start of the program.
— MPS Events
• Morris Elementary will celebrate Veterans Day Friday, Nov. 10, at 8:05 a.m. at the Elementary Gym. The assembly will feature the 4th Grade Choir, a guest speaker and other activities. All members who have served in the Armed Forces are invited to attend the assembly.
• Programs will also be held at Morris Middle School (11:05 a.m.) and Morris High School (10:20 a.m.), with a veterans lunch to follow.
— See additional events in Friday’s editions of the Henryetta Free-Lance and Okmulgee Times.